flag Benin Benin: Statistical Overview

Capital: Porto-Novo


Total Population: 13,352,864
Natural Increase: 2.7%
Density: 115 Inhabitants/km²
Urban Population: 49.5%
Ethnic Origins: 98.1% of the population is made up of Beninese nationals, including several ethnic groups such as the Adja, Yoruba, Bariba, Peulh, Ottamari, Yoa-Lokpa, Dendi or European. The remaining 1.9% are foreigners, mainly from African countries (including Niger, Togo, Nigeria and Burkina Faso). (National Institute of Statistics and Economic Analysis of Benin)
Official Language: French
Other Languages Spoken: A total of 55 languages are spoken in Benin, of which 50 are indigenous. Fon and Yoruba are spoken in South of Benin, with six major tribal languages being spoken in the North (including Bariba and Fulfulde).
Business Language(s): French and English
Religion: Christians 42.8%, Muslims 24.4%, Vodoun 17.3%, Other 15.5%.
Literacy Rate: 34.7%

Local Time:

It is %T:%M %A In Porto Novo

Exchange Rate on :

National Currency: CFA Franc BCEAO (XOF)

Country Overview

Area: 114,760 km²
Type of State: Benin is a presidential republic.
Type of Economy: Low-income economy.
Much corruption and few natural resources.
HDI*: 0.480/1
HDI (World Rank): 166/188

Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.


Telephone Code:
To call from Benin, dial 00
To call Benin, dial +229
Internet Suffix: .bj
Telephone Lines: 1.7 per 100 Inhabitants
Internet Users: 3.8 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity: 38.4% of the Population

Foreign Trade in Figures

Foreign Trade Indicators 20192020202120222023
Imports of Goods (million USD) 3,9323,5554,3704,7844,234
Exports of Goods (million USD) 3,0522,9963,6423,5684,071
Imports of Services (million USD) 806790931982n/a
Exports of Services (million USD) 528510512540n/a

Source: WTO – World Trade Organisation, Latest data available.


Any Comment About This Content? Report It to Us.

© eexpand, All Rights Reserved.
Latest Update: April 2024